Logo

Search

notes ● 798 words ● 4 minutes read

12 Days of Using Xiaomi Mi Band 2

I bought Xiaomi Mi Band 2, about 12 days ago and experienced some good stuff from a cheap accessory. At first look, it’s a classy, good-looking watch which sits well on your wrist and it shows itself smart and useful (which it is, kinda). But I’m not reviewing it, I’m sharing my experience about it. I have a Mi Band 2, which is the second generation of Xiaomi fitness tracker and I use it with a “Mesh Stainless Steel Bracelet Wristband Metal Strap” that costs 14 dollars and I synced it with my iPhone and “Mi Fit” app.

Xiaomi Mi Band 2

Mi Band 2

Introduction

The Xiaomi Mi Band 2 is a low cost, wearable activity tracker produced by Xiaomi. It was released on 7 June 2016. Unlike its predecessor, the Xiaomi Mi Band 2 comes with an OLED screen and a capacitive button. It has an accelerometer, optical heart rate monitor and a vibration engine. 0.42-inch OLED monitor as I said with a button that switches between options and data on your band.

Price

Mi Band 2 is one of the cheapest fitness trackers you can buy. You can buy it for less than $30. In compare to other smart wristbands and features it has, you pay nothing. Fitbit Charge 2 is $160 and Microsoft Band costs $190 for you.

Battery

The first thing you notice about Mi Band 2 is the battery. I charged my band first day I bought it and it still has 65% remaining. 35% of battery use for 12 days is amazing. didn’t read reviews before buying the band and I was worried about charge/battery problems with digital accessories but now I wish my other stuff could save battery like this band. Mi Fit App, ScreenShot of Battery Remaining

Smart Features

If you got a Xiaomi smartphone, you can use your Mi Band to unlock your phone! Just put your band close to your phone and it will unlock it. The bad thing is you’ll not wear it all the time and if someone gets both your band and phone, he can access your phone easily. It also shows you notifications, You can see who texted you, who is calling you, if you reached your goal of walking, if heart rate is high, alarm clock and also show the icon of notification if it’s from Mi Fit, WhatsApp, Telegram Messenger, Skype, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, YouTube or Calendar. It tracks your heartbeat and you can choose to track your activity like outdoor running, treadmill, outdoor cycling, and normal walking and also choose to pause automatically when you stop (treadmill is not supported). Sleeping and weight tracker (for multiple people on the app) is also in features. You can also see how much your weight changed overall and how many calories you burnt during exercise.

Design and App

Mi Band 2 is designed really classy and stylish. Oval shaped wristband with a touch button to swipe between features and data. You can also mute ringtone by tapping twice on the button (tested on Android, not iPhone). The app is the source of everything you can do with your band. Every detail is added by the app and the band also updates with the app. Turning on notifications for third-party apps is also done with Mi Fit app. Design of app is not the best but you get used to it. Sometimes it becomes confusing and you may have to search for it for some minutes but in total, it’s acceptable.

Water/Dust Proof

Mi Band 2 is water and dustproof (IP67), so you won’t have to worry about anything. And if smudged, you can easily wash it under tap water.

Careful

  1. It doesn’t support all notifications.
  2. Some bands may have pairing issues (fixable).
  3. original wristband is comfortable but steel ones make you tired after 7 or 8 hours
  4. You have to remove the device from the body (wristband) for charging.
  5. The charger can be lost easily but you can buy another charger band for 7 dollars.
  6. The step counter is not accurate so much.
  7. You have to sync your data every 3 days (sometimes it can keep data up to a week).
  8. The Mi Fit app is buggy (which app is not?).
  9. Sometimes it may not register data.

Conclusion

If you’re searching for a fitness tracker, you should absolutely buy it. It has a cool design, works pretty good and has great quality. It supports notifications and software updates regularly. It’s also comfortable and looks good on almost every wrist. Most important thing is Mi Support team showed that they care about stuff they create and they’ll help you have the best experience possible with Mi stuff.